From little pots to pans, baskets to boards – it’s literally everything goes with the current trend of serving meals on anything but a plain old plate these days. However the hipster food fad could realistically be making you sick.
Recently a restaurant in the UK was fined a whopping $87,000 for serving dishes on “unhygienic” wooden planks. The establishment failed to comply with a previous warning from health inspectors after an alleged food poisoning outbreak hit a party of 14.
“Wooden plates which were incapable of being cleaned were being used to serve the food,” the Birmingham City Council tweeted. “Wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.”
The council’s head of environmental health said: “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk. The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore. I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.”
In Australia the NSW Food Authority says that wooden serving boards are safe to use in the kitchen, but their “cleanliness and maintenance are key to preventing microbial cross-contamination”.
“Food should not be prepared or served on boards with deep gouges and cuts because of the risk of cross-contamination from bacteria and viruses hidden in these marks," guidelines state. "These lacerations can cause bacteria to become trapped and cross-contaminate food.”
Food providers beware …
Source : Women's Health, January 2018