Raw egg mayonnaise has been identified as the cause of a salmonella outbreak at Melbourne's Langham Hotel which caused 130 people to become ill.
This mayonnaise was prepared onsite and was added to chicken sandwiches which were served at a high tea on July 11 which left 16 diners in hospital.
A Department of Health investigation found the condiment contained the same strain of salmonella, which is a form of gastroenteritis, as the people who became unwell.
Victoria's acting chief health officer Professor Michael Ackland said it was extremely likely the eggs were to blame.
To read more: ABC Online 25/8/15