Imagine the shock of a Brisbane customer when she received her salad at the Hog's Breath Cafe at Aspley, complete with a plug from the kitchen sink smack bang in the middle of it!
Ross Worth, General Manager of Hog's Breath Australia, assures customers that the company does take food hygiene very seriously and that they had alerted local authorities to the incident at their Aspley restaurant. The company has been in touch with the customer and apologised to them personally.
The plug had apparently come from an ice bath that was being used to wash fresh produce. Obviously the staff member removed the fresh produce from the ice bath and pulled the plug with it.
The owner of the Aspley franchise has since re-trained all of his staff on the correct processes to follow to ensure that this does not happen again.
We certainly hope so!
Source : The Brisbane Times, 22 April 2015