existing student?

Useful Fact Sheet for Home based food businesses

Ever wanted to make and sell foods at the local markets, or do some home based catering, but don’t know what your requirements are with Queensland Health? They have released a useful factsheet for Home Based food businesses that may help you.

To summarise, a food business is any activity involving the handling of food intended for sale. There are a number of special considerations involving approval and food safety which need to be considered if the handling of food occurs at a domestic premises.

Some of the home based food business which may require a licence could include:

  • preparation of food for sale at a market or fete
  • bed and breakfast accommodation
  • home based catering or
  • motel kitchens that also serve as kitchens for owners / onsite managers.

If you don’t fall under any of the above categories, then you can contact your Environment Health Officer at your local council for help.

As with all food businesses, home business must comply with the requirements of the Act and provisions of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, whether they are requirement to be registered or not.

All licensable food businesses are required to have a trained and nominated Food Safety Supervisor. For assistance with this training you can contact CFT QLD.

Read more at Queensland Health website at www.health.qld.gov.au/foodsafety